Bringing together the leaders of today with the talent of tomorrow
Barnsley College is looking to business to help shape the future workforce and ensure that young people are leaving education ready for the workplace.
Talent United bridges the gap between education and employment and creates opportunities for you to have a positive influence on the workforce of tomorrow. With your support we can sculpt a generation of work ready young people who will enrich the local labour market.
Talent United has been developed after feedback from employers showed us that you felt our young people were not leaving school or college ready to take on the workplace.
You told us that young people lacked basic employability skills.
You told us that what young people learn in the classroom isn’t always relevant to industry.
You told us that young people don’t consider their career enough.
Talent United invites you to share your experience, share your expertise and impart your knowledge on the young people of today who will become your workforce of tomorrow.
Why join Talent United?
By joining Talent United you can:
- Shape curriculum and tell us what skills and knowledge is needed to succeed in your industry
- Showcase your business to some of the region’s most promising young talents
- Join a network of likeminded employers, committed to raising aspirations and promoting opportunities in and around Barnsley
- Enlist the support of teams of young people to drive innovation in your business
- Identify the very best candidates for your business ahead of the competition
- Inspire the employees of the future
How can Talent United work for you?
We will support you to have as much or as little involvement as you would like and can offer support at times to suit you.
- If you know that you have an annual requirement for short term support, we can provide a work placement student with the knowledge you require to meet your exact needs.
- Alternatively, you may have an apprentice who works with you for four days per week. We can provide a work placement student to cover the one day your apprentice attends college.
- If you are finding that none of the candidates you interview are of the right calibre, you can work with our young people to educate them in what employers are looking for through: Interview coaching, careers talks, mentoring etc.
Talent United is flexible. You can give as much or as little time as you can spare. Even if you can only dedicate half a day per year, you can benefit a young person and your business.
We want you to tell us how you would like to get involved. Through consultation with a number employers we have identified a range of ways you may want to get involved:
|Attend development groups or forums to tell us what does and doesn’t work about the training currently given to young people so that we can change our curriculum|
|Inspire students through industry careers talks|
|Inspire students and showcase your business at careers/progression events|
|Inspire enterprising students with talks about your own experiences|
Help young people to realise industry
|Provide students with practical industry projects which will benefit your business|
|Help students to gain real industry experience within your business and spot your future emploees through valuable work placements|
|Showcase your organisation though workplace tours|
|Provide young people with real and effective apprenticeships|
Coach for success
|Advise young people through mentoring and guidance|
|Show young people exactly what you are looking for in a candidate and support them with mock interviews|
|Be recognised and nominate young people for awards and competitions|
|Be involved in award judging and competitions|
|Promote your brand through sponsorship opportunities|
|Reward the very best candidates with opportunities in your business|
This is by no means an exhaustive list of the opportunities available and we do invite you to tell us if there is any other way you would like to participate.
Get more from Talent United
In addition to the business benefits offered as a result of working with young people, as a member of Talent United you will also benefit from:
- Increased promotion and advertising
- Recognition across our business networks
- Award nominations
- Business support
- Increased PR opportunities
- Invitations to exclusive networking events
- Discounts on training and services
To get involved with this new and exciting initiative and have your business recognised please contact +44 (0)1226 216 166 or email: TalentUnited@barnsley.ac.uk
Follow us on Twitter: @Talent_United
Find us on LinkedIn: Talent United
Last updated: 27th October 2016