Barnsley College has launched Talent United, a new employer engagement initiative, to businesses across Yorkshire. Talent United will bridge the gap between education and employment and will provide employers with the opportunity to shape a generation of work ready young people.
Barnsley College currently works with over 2000 employers and Talent United will further enhance these relationships through collaborative partnerships. Employers are invited to share their experience, expertise and knowledge with the college’s young people and have a positive influence on the workforce of tomorrow.
Through consultation, employers acknowledged that whilst qualifications are important, work readiness and employability skills are of equal importance.
Why join Talent United?
By joining this new initiative you can:
• Help shape the curriculum and share the skills and knowledge needed in your industry
• Showcase your business to some of the region’s most promising young talents
• Join a network of like-minded employers, committed to raising aspirations and promoting opportunities in Barnsley and across the region
• Enlist the support of teams of young people to drive innovation in your business
• Identify the best candidates for your business, ahead of the competition
• Provide valuable work experience opportunities for young people
• Inspire the employees of the future
Businesses wishing to get involved with Talent United can have as much or as little involvement as they like. Ways of working with the initiative can include:
• Taking on a work placement student
• Having an apprentice work within your company as part of your workforce
• Working with young people to educate them about what employers are looking for; this may be through interview coaching, giving career talks, mentoring
• Setting young people a real-life business challenge
Christopher Webb, Chief Executive and Principal of Barnsley College, said: “Talent United aims to make a difference and create opportunities which will influence the workforce of tomorrow. We would like businesses to become involved and share expertise and knowledge with our students.”
Talent United is a very flexible initiative. People wishing to offer support can give as much or as little time as they can spare. Even if a business can only dedicate half a day per year, this input can still benefit a young person, as well as the business.
The initiative will give businesses recognition for their input in helping to shape the employees of the future. The college will provide an array of incentives to those who support Talent United, such as discounts on training and services, increased promotion, PR and advertising opportunities and business support. It will also arrange exclusive networking opportunities so getting involved is a real two-way relationship.
Talent United was launched to Patrons and members of Barnsley and Rotherham Chamber of Commerce on Friday 18 September, existing employers on Tuesday 10 November and members of the Federation of Small Businesses on Tuesday 17 November. All three launches were well attended with a number of attendees signing up to the initiative on the day.
To find out more about Talent United or to join the initiative contact Barnsley College on 01226 216166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 27th November 2015
Originally posted on: 27th November 2015