Gaining an accountancy qualification will stand you in good stead for the future as accountants are in demand in a variety of sectors and organisations.
You could work in business or finance, the public sector, the charity sector or public practice (those who work in public practice offer accountancy services to clients). You could choose to work for anyone from a large international accountancy firm to a small local business. And you can work in general practice or specialise in areas such as:
- Auditing – conducting independent checks on organisations’ financial statements
- Tax – eg dealing with tax returns or advising organisations about tax
- Corporate finance – advising businesses about mergers and acquisitions
- Business recovery and insolvency – steering businesses through difficulties or winding them up
- Forensic accounting – detecting and preventing fraud