Hardship support during College closures
We understand students may find themselves in difficulties and unsure of who to contact when the College is closed. Please find contact information below which some students may find useful. If you are worried for your own safety and wellbeing or that of someone else, help is available as detailed below;
At risk of homelessness
If you are at risk of/have become homeless, you can look for help through the Barnsley Council Homeless and Housing Advice Service.
Contact (01226) 773870 or freephone 0808 196 3530.
For urgent homelessness concerns out of office hours (after 5pm), weekends and bank holidays call the Emergency Duty Out of Hours Service: 01226 787789.
You can visit the website online for further Advice and Guidance.
Additional homelessness support
Centrepoint can also help young people at risk/become homeless or even sofa surfing.
Contact 0808 800 0661. All calls are free to this number.
Shelter offer advice and support with housing (Inc. Private renting, evictions, mortgage repossession) and homelessness.
Contact 0808 800 4444. All calls are free to this number or visit their website on https://england.shelter.org.uk/
Street Link help individuals who may be sleeping rough over the age of 18. Anyone can make a referral to Street link whom will then liaise with the local authority if you suspect someone is rough sleeping. You are required to give a specific location they have been sleeping, details of the time they have been seen in that location, any specific information about that individual if known (gender, approximate age, what the person looks like and might be wearing). Visit online to refer a case to Street link; https://www.streetlink.org.uk/
*Please be aware if you suspect the person is below the age of 18 or is in danger you must contact the police.
- For students under 18, contact Barnsley Children Social Care : 01226 772423
- For students over the age of 18, contact Barnsley Adult Social Care: 01226 773300
- For urgent concerns out of office hours (after 5pm), weekends and bank holidays call the Emergency Duty Out of Hours Service: 01226 787789. This applies to concerns for either a child or adult.
Please note, if you live outside the Barnsley area, you will need to contact Social Care from the area where you live. But if in doubt, ring the numbers above to seek assistance who will refer you to your area’s contact details.
We recommend visiting the Citizens Advice service online to look into what benefits you may be entitled to. This includes; Universal Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, ESA).
Freephone Citizens Advice: 0800 1448848
Most foodbanks require individuals to obtain a voucher with them first before having access to a food parcel. Please see local foodbanks around the area but alternatively you can find your local foodbank via Trussell trust https://www.trusselltrust.org/
- Barnsley Foodbank – Visit online https://barnsley.foodbank.org.uk/ or contact 01226 235280.
- Sheffield (S6) Foodbank – Visit online http://sheffields6.foodbank.org.uk or contact 07984572041
- Rotherham Foodbank – Visit online http://rotherham.foodbank.org.uk or contact 07936935319
- Doncaster – Visit online http://doncaster.foodbank.org.uk/ or contact 07568247288
- Wakefield (Normanton Foodbank) – Visit online http://normanton.foodbank.org.uk/ or contact 01924895634/07307189851
South Yorkshire Police
- In an emergency, if you feel unsafe, always call 999. For non-emergencies call 101.
For medical help and advice call 111. In an emergency, always call 999.
Other support available
ChildLine contact 0800 1111 (24 hours). All calls are free to this number.
Last updated: 4th January 2021