If you’re a talented athlete with the passion to develop your skills, then Barnsley College Sports Academy could be your ideal destination. At the Sports Academy we give students the opportunity to achieve academic and sporting excellence.
The state-of-the-art facilities at Honeywell Sports Village include:
Outdoor floodlit 3G pitch, multi-use games area, two sports halls with performance standard sprung flooring, two fitness centres, professionally maintained grass pitches, Sports Science and Physiology Lab equipped with the latest performance analysis software, specialist sports massage suite, meeting rooms, Esports Arena and 16 classrooms fully equipped with interactive technology.
Sports Performance Academies include Football (male and female), Rugby Union, Refereeing, Basketball, Netball, Cricket, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Health and Fitness, Inclusive Academy, Futsal, Individual Athlete Academy and Esports.
Our Sports Academy has an excellent sporting reputation:
- Our male footballers compete at the highest level of College football winning the English Colleges Football Association Premier League.
- Our female footballers finished second in the English Colleges Football Association Premier League.
- Netball team have been crowned champions of the Association of Colleges Sport Yorkshire and Humber Netball West league.
- Esports Academy participate in the British Esports Championship competitions in Rocket League, League of Legends, Overwatch and FIFA.
- The Academy Basketball team is coached by former professional Basketball player Will Hopper who most recently played in Europe and is currently coaching the Wales junior national team.
- Our Netball Academy has County Coach links with Sheffield Hallam University.
- Our Rugby Academy has a strong partnership with Barnsley RUFC.
We have supported a range of athletes who have gone on to compete at the very highest level of their sport:
- Beth England, a former Football Academy student, has gone on to play for Chelsea FC and England Ladies.
- Dempsey Smith and Betty Cheetham were selected for the English Colleges Football Association national squad.
- Netball captain Megan Atkinson has successfully completed a trial to join Leeds Rhinos Netball Club.
- Kai Law fought his way to the Taekwondo British National Championships and is now a Gold Medallist.
- Calin Iacobescu has won Young Official of the Year award at the annual Basketball England Volunteer Awards.
- Chloe Hinchliffe geared up to compete in the Cyclo-cross Nationals.
You don’t have to be studying sport to be a part of our Sports Academy – all students are welcome.
Check out the Sports Academy video filmed and edited by a Level 3 Film and Television Student.
View out Basketball Academy Booklet here.
View our Netball Academy Booklet here.
View our Football Academy Booklet here.
View our BSA Academic and Sporting Excellence Booklet here.
View our BSA Coaching Awards Booklet here.
View our BSA Pass Sport Booklet here.
The Elite Sports Performer Bursary
The Barnsley College Sports Academy is committed to supporting elite athletes, combining sporting and academic excellence, and has a number of Sports Bursaries to award to our elite athletes who meet specific criteria.
You don’t have to be studying sport to apply for an Elite Sports Performer Bursary – all students are welcome.
If you want to be part of our outstanding Sports Academy, contact the team for more information:
Last updated: 2nd November 2020