The Barnsley College Student Voice Team exists so that you have someone to listen to your concerns, interests and needs. We want you to get the very best out of your educational experience and our activities give you the opportunity to gain essential life skills.
What we do
Course Representatives / Departmental Representatives
Course Representatives are a crucial part of helping us to improve student life. Students who are elected will go on training sessions and be invited to student forums so that they can share the feedback they get from their fellow students. This feedback helps us to make decisions on how college is run and gives everyone a chance to have their say.
Departmental Representatives are part of the same process but they will bring feedback from their whole department to department forums.
You said – We did
‘You said we did’ is how we tell you what changes have or will be happening due to your feedback at forum. This can be seen around college.
We carry out learner surveys three times a year where we ask your views on topics such as Teaching and Learning, Assessment and Feedback and Wellbeing and Support. We use this feedback to improve your college experience.
Student on Strategic Groups
These groups are where all the big decisions are made so that’s why we have a student representative on each one. This promotes Student Voice right through the college.
The Student Governor sits on the Board of Governors for the College and helps make decisions similar to the strategic groups.
Student Union Committee
The Student Union (SU) is a constituted student body that is run by an elected student body. The aims of the union were devised by the 12/13 outgoing committee and agreed by the current committee and are;
- Student Voice – representing learners is the core of the union
- Student Rights – promote and protect the rights of learners
- Student Opportunity and Employability – provide chances to expand skills
- Student Democracy – enabling learners to develop citizenship and democracy
- Student Lifestyle – the Union is the heartbeat of college life
- Student Green and Ethical Aspirations – reducing environmental impact and social campaigning
The SU committee are elected student representatives that work on behalf of the college community of students. They have their own dedicated Student Union space within the main college building at Old Mill Lane. The SU Committee roles include;
- Vice President (activities)
- Communications Officer
- Welfare Officer
- Student Voice and Representation Officer
- Women’s Officer
- Disabled Students Officer
- Black and Minority Ethnic Students Officer (BME)
- LGBT Students Officer
- Mature Students Officer
For further information please contact the Student Voice Team in Student Services
Tel: +44 (0)1226 216 610/611
or call in to the Old Mill Lane campus.
Last updated: 31st October 2017