You will need to show comtetance in the following areas;
- The different techniques and methods used to design, build and maintain civil engineering projects. This includes understanding how ideas and requirements are converted into engineering designs; knowing the standards, contracts and specifications and their impact on the design and construction process.
- The appropriate scientific, technical and engineering principles relating to the design, delivery and maintenance of infrastructure and buildings. This includes an understanding of the mathematical, scientific and engineering techniques required to support the design and construction processes, including building information management and modelling aspects of civil engineering disciplines with a demonstrable knowledge of sustainability
- How to work effectively and contribute to engineering solutions by the correct use of resources and time. This includes an understanding of project management systems, tools and techniques as they are applied to the design and construction process.
- How to communicate effectively using a range of techniques. This includes an understanding of different communication methods and when to use them; how to write technical reports; drawing and modelling conventions and engineering terminology; collaboration and effective team working.
- The code of conduct of relevant professional bodies and institutions including ethics and their application in design and delivery of projects. Understanding the protection of client confidentiality, the need to adhere to corporate policies on ethics and diversity and the professional obligation to make a contribution to society.
- Safe working practices and how to comply with them. Understanding regulations such as Construction Design and Management (CDM), Common Safety Method (CSM), hazard identification, mitigation and health safety and risk management in relation to project delivery.
- Sustainable development and their own contribution to economic, environmental and social wellbeing. Understanding company and client sustainability and environmental policies and their impact on design and delivery; and an awareness of the environmental impact of projects and mitigating actions.
- Sources of and approaches to Continuing Professional Development (CPD). This includes an understanding of appraisal schemes including training