facebook noscript

Financial support is available to adults

We understand course fees can be a deciding factor when choosing whether to return to education and study a qualification.

Fees for selected part-time courses can be waived for students on low incomes, or those who get certain benefits; and there are a number of financial support schemes available to adults who study with us.


19+ Learner Support Fund

This fund can:

  • Help to covering the costs of travel into College
  • Provide a contribution towards your food costs
  • Provide funding towards any essential materials required for the completion of your course*

Visit the Learner Support Fund page for more information and eligibility criteria.


Advanced Learner Loan

If you are planning to study at Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 and you’re aged 19 or over (on the first day of your course) you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help pay for your course fees.

For further details visit the Advanced Learner Loan page.


Advanced Learner Loan Bursary

If you are funding your course fees with an Advanced Learner Loan and have a household income of less than £37,000 you can apply to the Learner Support Fund a bursary funding to cover the costs of either travel, childcare funding or ALS costs*. Visit the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary page for further details.


Childcare funding

Students over the age of 20 at the start of their course can apply to the Learner Support Fund for childcare funding (subject to meeting eligibility criteria and provision of evidence*).

For more information and to make an application visit the Learner Support Fund page.

You will need to indicate on the form that you require childcare funding. Then, you will be sent an additional childcare form to complete. Please submit this as soon as possible.

Key points:

  • On confirmation of funding, a contract will be set up between the College and the childcare provider
  • Payments will be made directly to the childcare provider for the agreed sessions only
  • Fees incurred outside of the childcare funding agreement will be charged to the student
  • Childcare fees incurred before funding is agreed from the College will be the students responsibility to fund
  • Students must utilise external government funding in the first instance whereby the Learner Support Fund would provide top up in cases where government funding does not meet the full costs in line with the College timetable.

Care to Learn

If you are under the age of 20, please complete a Care to Learn application form.


Please note:

*You will be required to complete an application form and provide evidence of eligibility before funding is approved

Students are advised to inform the Department for Work and Pensions about any learner support they are receiving from the College, as learner support payments may affect eligibility to state benefits

Funding is provided on a first-come, first-served basis and capped levels of support are applied


Frequently Asked Questions

Please visit our Financial Support FAQs page. https://www.barnsley.ac.uk/student-life/financial-support/financial-support-faqs/


I am studying a Higher Education course

Visit the Higher Education Financial Hardship fund page for more details.


For further information and eligibility, contact our Information Team by emailing info@barnsley.ac.uk or calling 01226 216 123.

Last updated: 21st July 2023

Skip to content