What are industry placements?
Industry placements are part of the newly implemented T levels offered as an alternative education route for people aged 16+.
Alongside learning specific industry core theory, concepts and specialist skills and knowledge at Barnsley College, students are required to undertake 315 hours of work experience within an industry setting over a minimum of 45 weeks, typically running one day per week for 45 weeks.
Students can undertake these industry placement hours as a block, weekly day release or a mix of these to suit the employer they are placed with. The placement can even be shared between employers if one business cannot offer enough hours to fulfil the requirement.
Businesses who provide industry placements will be fully supported by their personal Barnsley College Industry Placement Coordinator throughout the process, from sign up to completion and beyond.
Industry placements cost nothing but a business’ time, but can benefit the business in many ways.
What are the benefits to a business?
- Access to a fully funded talent pool of employees.
- Reduces recruitment costs and is a cost effective way of employing your workforce.
- Addresses any skills shortages within your organisation.
- Enhances the personal development, motivation and productivity of your existing employees through mentoring and management opportunities.
- Provides an extra pair of hands within the business.
- Diversifies your employee skillset.
- Help to develop a young person and integrate them within your business.
For more information, contact the Industry Placement team:
Telephone: 01226 216 216
Can you offer an industry placement opportunity?
Barnsley College has a number of full-time students who are keen to gain first-hand experience of the working environment, which often leads to an apprenticeship or employment opportunity.
If you’re interested in providing a work placement or would like to find out more information please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 2nd February 2021