What are T Levels?
T Levels are courses for 16- to 18-year-olds that are studied at the same level as doing A Levels. They are for young people who prefer a more technical education when they come to College, rather than following a purely academic pathway, or a work-based apprenticeship.
T Levels provide a mixture of:
- Technical knowledge and practical skills specific to the student’s chosen industry or occupation.
- An industry placement of at least 45 days in their chosen industry or occupation. Watch this short Government video to hear why students find completing industry placements so beneficial.
- Relevant Maths, English and digital skills.
- Common workplace skills.
Students who achieve a T Level will get a nationally recognised certificate which employers will use as evidence in their recruitment.
T Levels will offer students a mixture of classroom or workshop-based learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience.
When were they introduced?
Barnsley College was once the first College in South Yorkshire to offer a range of T Levels and we have now been offering the pioneering new qualifications for two years! We had an excellent first set of T Level results in 2022, with a 98% overall pass rate. See how well our students did.
We are proud to be a T Level leader and our T Level Transition Programme has been featured as a case study in a Department for Education video resource to help other providers who are launching the qualifications.
What can I do with a T Level qualification?
When you have completed a T Level course, you will be able to choose between moving into:
- A skilled occupation.
- Higher or degree level apprenticeships.
- Further study including Higher Technical Qualifications or Higher Education.
What courses are available?
Business (Management and Administration)
- Digital Production, Design and Development
- Digital Business Services (Data Technician)
- Digital Support Services
Education and Childcare
Engineering and Manufacturing
Finance and Accounting
Motor Vehicle (Maintenance, Installation and Repair)
As our T Level provision continues to grow, additional courses will be rolled out in stages each year! From September 2023, we hope to offer additional courses in the following subjects:
- Catering and Hospitality
- Craft and Design Ceramics Maker
- Events and Venues Technician
- Media Broadcast and Production – Content Creation and Production
- Media Broadcast and Production – Creative Media Technician
- Textile and Fashion Maker pathway
As soon as more information becomes available we will update this page.
Take a look at the video below for the inside scoop on all-things Digital T Levels from our friends at Technicians Make It Happen…
I’m an employer and I want to offer industry placements, is this possible?
Absolutely! Businesses who provide industry placements will be fully supported by their personal Barnsley College Industry Placement Co-ordinator throughout the process, from sign up to completion and beyond. Visit the Industry Placements departmental page to find out more information. The industry placement team can be contacted by calling 01226 216 216 or emailing email@example.com
What else do I need to know?
The short video below introduces T Levels and might help you as you decide what and how you’d like to study next.
Please note, this video was filmed before the ministerial changes in November 2022. The video was correct at the time of production.
Need more information?
To read the Department for Education’s guide to the Introduction of T Levels you can visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/introduction-of-t-levels
Last updated: 11th January 2023