Financial Support FAQs

The Learner Support Fund a term used for the College bursaries available to students aged 16 plus who meet eligibility criteria for financial support towards towards the cost of travel, food, course essential items and childcare. These funds are provided to the college from the government to assist colleges in removing financial barriers to learning.

If your household income is below £37,000 you can apply.

See the different evidence types available below that may relate to your circumstance;

– All the pages of the 2022/23 Tax Credit Letter.

-Three most recent wage slips with name and address.

-Benefit letter dated within three months that includes name and address. If the letter is older than 3 months, please also provide a full month’s bank statement. (Benefit letters include; Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Job Seekers’ Allowance.)

-Self-assessment tax calculation or certified accounts.

– P60 Form.

– Universal Credit (The 3 most recent payment statements for Universal Credit. Each statement needs to evidence all information including name, address, the blue box at the top, and the section titled “If your circumstances change”. This can be found on the Universal Credit app or online via the log in account.)

We DO NOT accept bank statements as evidence for Universal Credit.

No, it is recommended you speak to a staff member to discuss the difficulties with paperwork. It is worth noting we do not require all the evidence requested in our evidence checklist. Some documents include everything we require such like a Tax Credit Award letter 2022/23.

No, you need to complete the application form and provide us with contact details for a key worker.

Due to the volume of applications received, please allow for 10 working days for your application to be processed. If you have missing evidence this will delay your application and funding.

You will receive an award email to the email address you provided on your application form.

Applications take up to 10 working days to be processed if it has passed 10 working days and you haven’t heard from the College please email with your name and student number and a member of staff will look into this for you

Please use the Learner Support Fund application form and submit evidence, if you have already completed a form, do not submit another form your awards will be assessed altogether

You can still apply to the Learner Support Fund as normal. We recommend you open one not just for the potential of receiving support from the College but also in preparation for any part-time employment you may have in the near future.

If you are aged under 20 at the start of the academic year, please apply to the government childcare scheme called Care to Learn. Please visit

You will need to apply through the online portal and then you will need to provide Student Services with a copy of your child/ren birth certificate and proof of child benefit. Please email these to

If you need any support with this application process please email and an Adviser will arrange an appointment with you.

If you are not applying for an Advanced Learner Loan and have a household income of less than £22,000 apply using the online Learner Support Fund application form and indicate on there that you will need funding support for childcare fees.

An adviser will then contact you with an additional form to complete which details your specific childcare funding requirements, this is capped at £180 per week and must be with an Ofsted registered provider

If you have a household income of less than £37,000 then you can apply using the Learner Support Fund for a contribution towards your childcare costs. *capped amount applies and may not cover full costs*

No, funding can only be provided to an Ofsted registered organisation or childminder

No, the College will set up a contract with the nursery or childminder and will pay them directly through an invoice system.

Yes, as the funding is provided from the government to the College, where possible you will be asked to use your government free hours and the learner support fund will then ‘top us’ as required.

It is based on individual circumstances around your timetable.

The fund will cover the cheapest form of transport for you to attend College. It is therefore important that you apply for any concessionary pass available to you.

You will be provided with either a payment to cover travel expenses or the most appropriate bus pass

These are travel passes provided by Travel South Yorkshire/Metro that gives you discounted travel, these are free passes.

Check the Travel Payment schedule, this can be found in Student Services, our website or visit our Facebook page

If you are getting bus passes you will not receive a travel payment

Please check your attendance, if you are not attending well then this affects your bursary payments, please email for further information

You will be notified by email once your application for financial support has been processed. You will need to wait for this before you try and use your student card for payment of food.

At any of the food outlets within the College sites.

If you are studying on a full time course that requires you to complete an Industry Placement, please apply for the Learner Support Fund for financial support towards this. Alternatively, please contact your departmental Work Placement Coordinator who will be able to give you more information.