The programme consists of a combination of lectures, practical activities, oral presentations, tutorials, individual research and group work. Speakers from other relevant organisations will also visit classes. As part of the course you will be expected to undertake a range of outdoor activities, including visits to various public services, e.g. Army, RAF, Magistrates Court. You will also take part in expeditions which may involve overnight stays.
In addition to general class work, you will be expected to use a range of textbooks for research purposes, as well as the IT facilities in the Learning Resource Centre. You will also be encouraged to take part in the college sports teams and recreational sporting activities within the structured college programme.
What subject areas will I study?
- Prepare for employment in a chosen uniformed service
- Develop aspects of physical fitness for entry to the uniformed services
- Develop leadership skills
- Understand conflict management and personal protection
- Participate in a sports coaching session
- Participate in uniformed service routine
- Assist in planning and leading adventurous activities
- Understand planning for emergency situations in the uniformed services
- Understand how the Government, International Organisations and Media Impact
You will also be given the opportunity to obtain Functional Skills qualifications in ICT, English and/or maths at an appropriate level.