Introduction to Esports Education: Coaching, Health, and Wellbeing Foundation Degree
Congratulations on your offer to study within the department of Esports at Barnsley College University Centre. We are delighted to welcome you on to the Esports Education: Coaching, Health, and Wellbeing Foundation Degree.
Meet the team, see pictures below
If you have any questions about the course, assessments or teaching please do not hesitate to contact us:
Our aim is to ensure that you know what to expect from the course and provide advice and guidance on what you need to prepare for your studies. There will be activities that you may want to get involved in, both across the department and within Barnsley College, and we will let you know more about these when you enrol. Below is the time for enrolment which you are required to attend.
Tuesday 20 September 10.00am – 4.00pm.
Proof of Qualifications
You must be able to produce certificates to prove that you have achieved the following:
- English at Level 2 or above (or approved equivalent)
- Mathematics at Level 2 or above (or approved equivalent)
Please bring proof of all your qualifications (original certificates) to your enrolment session. You will not be able to fully enrol on the course unless these have been presented to Barnsley College and failure to produce these will delay any loan payments, if eligible, being paid.
If you find that you do not have the original certificates, you will need to obtain copies from the awarding body as quickly as possible prior to enrolment.
Please check with the school or college you attended for information on contacting the relevant awarding body.
Preparation and Preliminary Reading
It is strongly recommended that you purchase your own copy of the following books, which will be used as set texts and will be useful throughout your Esports course:
- Chaloner, P., (2020). This is Esports and how to spell it. Bloomsbury.
- Marshall, J. (Ed.). (2017). Contemporary debates in education studies. Routledge
- McCullough, B. P., & Kellison, T. B. (Eds.). (2020). Routledge handbook of sport and the environment. Routledge.
- Armour, K. (Ed.) (2013). Sport Pedagogy: An Introduction for Teaching and Coaching. Routledge. Also available via e-book from Barnsley College
We offer Digital courses for adults (FREE study available)
Whatever your starting point, we have courses (many of which are FREE!) to increase your all-round digital skills, or to develop your knowledge in specific areas.
View our Digital courses for adults page for more information.
These books will also be very useful and available in the library at the Church Street campus, though it is recommended that you purchase your own copy of at least one study skills text:
- Burns, T and Sinfield, S. (2003). Essential Study Skills: The Complete Guide to Success at University. London: Sage.
- Cottrell, S. (2015). Skills for Success: The Personal Development Planning Handbook. Third edition. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Cottrell, S. (2005). Critical Thinking Skills: Developing Effective Analysis and Argument. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Internet and Online Resources
The following sites will be useful to familiarise yourself with:
Journal Article Databases
The following sites will be useful for reading and utilising journals:
- Google Scholar – scholar.google.co.uk
- Open Athens (e.g. SPORTDiscus) – openathens.net
- SAGE Journals – journals.sagepub.com
- Springer Journals – link.springer.com
Twitter can be an excellent source of up-to-date information on policy and practice, which will be crucial for your own knowledge and development. Below are some suggested Twitter feeds relevant to Esports:
- Barnsley Sports Academy – @barnsleysport
- Sport England @Sport_England
- Association for Physical Education – @afPE_PE
- Department for Education – @educationgovuk
- Public Health England – @PHE_uk
- British Psychological Society Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology – @BPS_DSEP
- Youth Sport Trust – @YouthSportTrust
- UK Coaching – @_UKCoaching
- UK Coaching Research – @researchub
- ESL Dota2 – @ESLDota2
- LoL Esports – @lolesports
- MLG – @MLG
- DreamHack – @DreamHack
- Riot Games – @RiotGames
StarCraft Esports – @esportstarcraft
- The Esports Writer – @FionnOnFire (esports journalist)
- MonteCristo – @MonteCristo (esports commentator)
Personal Development Opportunities
As a Esport student at Barnsley College University Centre, you are eligible to enrol onto a competitive industry-discounted qualifications to work alongside your new HE programme:
New and returning students are invited to attend this Welcome Event to celebrate the start of the new academic year! There will be lots of fun activities and information stalls.
The event will be fully immersive and students will be able to experience a never before seen type of event within College.