Interviews can be a daunting experience so it’s important to prepare for it. Check out our tips below on how you can get fully prepared for your apprenticeship interview so you can focus on impressing the employer and secure that apprenticeship job.
Before the interview
- Plan what to wear so you look smart and professional.
- Plan how you will get to the interview so you are on time and you know where you are going.
- Research the company and the apprenticeship you are applying for – you should know what they do, what the apprenticeship involves and why you’d be great for the company.
- Prepare your Record of Achievement and check you have copies of your qualification certificates as you may need these during your interview.
- Make a list of your skills and qualities that you have and situations when you have used them. Use your experiences to demonstrate your skills during your interview.
- Visit the College’s Job Shop where you can get interview tips and support.
- Practice answering some questions that may be asked during your interview.
- Think of two or three questions that you can ask the interviewer this shows your interest in working there. You could ask: What is it like to work here? Who will I be working with?
During the interview
- Try not to be nervous.
- Be pleasant, polite and confident.
- When you meet the interviewer for the first time, shake their hand.
- Speak clearly.
- Think about your body language. Keep eye contact with the interviewer when you are speaking to them. Make sure you are sat with your arms uncrossed and you’re not slouching. Don’t forget to smile.
- Answer the question fully using real examples.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the interviewer to repeat the question.
- Ask the interviewer a few questions to show your interest in working for the company.
After the interview
If you don’t get the apprenticeship, ask for some honest feedback from the employer as to why you weren’t right for the role and how they think you can improve. Remember, you can use this interview as experience for future job interviews and it will help you next time.
Last updated: 28th March 2022