facebook noscript

Community Connections – What’s Next?

We’re delighted your young person has applied to study at Barnsley College. Enrolment will be held in late August and your young person will receive details about how to enrol in early August.

The time your young person has at the College will pass really quickly and as the waiting lists to access some support services is long. It’s important you start thinking about what their next steps after College will be and what support your young person may be able to access, now. Please consider the health and support guidance you will need now and in the future.

Here’s the guidance and the practical steps you need to take now

  1. Start early – if you think your young person maybe entitled to support, then its vital to start the process as soon as possible.
  2. Have the important documents about your young person to hand. You could have a folder with all of the relevant information including National Insurance Number, a copy of the EHCP, healthcare plan, details on any benefits your young person claims, medical notes etc.
  3. Have a notepad and pen to hand.
  4. Keep records of any phone conversations you have with support organisations. Remember to make a note of the date and time of the conversation, the name of the person you spoke to, and details of what was discussed.
  5. Remember, its your responsibility to source the support your young person may need now and in the future.
  6. Be prepared for knockbacks. It won’t be an easy journey but keep persevering.
  7. Speak to other parents/carers as they may other avenues you could explore. Visit the Events section to find details of our Parent/Carer Social Events and other key dates that you may find useful to attend.
  8. Take a look at the Student Services web pages to find out about the range of support we provide, including Health and Wellbeing, Financial Support, Student Travel and much more.
  9. Visit the Parent and Carers web page for details on College life and how to report your young person’s absence.
  10. Meet with the Learning for Living and Work (LfLW) staff. They will be able to make a referral to Adult Social Care on your behalf.


Return to the Community Connections Hub.

Last updated: 23rd May 2024

Skip to content