At Barnsley College Higher Education, every employee is working together to transform the lives of our students. We work tirelessly to improve our services to ensure our students leave us with the skills and knowledge they need to be able to complete their course and progress to higher level study or employment.
Our students work exceptionally hard and many go onto achieve great things! We’re very proud of our students, our success rates and our student satisfaction results. Here’s a review of our successes that we’re proud of:
• 90% of our HE students completed their award.*
• 74% of our students achieved either a First, Upper Second, Distinction or a Merit*
• 35 students achieved a First class degree and 29 students were awarded an Upper-second class degree.*
• 69% of students enrolled to a Higher National or Foundation Degree programme were award a Merit or Distinction*
We’ve been ranked as the best South Yorkshire college for overall student satisfaction in the 2019/20 Higher Education National Student Survey (NSS).
The College’s overall student satisfaction score rose from 85% in 2018/19 to 88.39%, comfortably above the national average of 82.65%.
Students reported high satisfaction levels across all areas, from teaching, learning and academic support to the learning community and student voice. Below are individual breakdowns of the College’s student satisfaction score in each of the area measured:
- Teaching on my course = 86%
- Learning Opportunities = 92%
- Assessment and Feedback = 83%
- Academic Support = 88%
- Organisation and Management = 80%
- Learning Community = 86%
- Student Voice = 82%
- 50% of our students were aged 21 or above*
- 59% of the cohort was female and 41% of the cohort was male*
- 18% had a declared disability or identified learning support need*
- 16% were studying on a part-time basis*
- 6% were from an ethnic background*
* [Barnsley College] Higher Education Annual Monitoring Report 2019/20
Last updated: 10th February 2021