We offer a service to any student who has a diagnosis of anything persistent or long-term which might interfere with how they study and manage their day-to- day academic engagement. The service is flexible and shaped around the needs of each individual; it might be consistent support or intermittent support.
We begin working with someone even before they start their HE course; we can devise support strategies for part-time, full time, undergraduate or post-graduate students – of any age!
We can arrange appropriate for any long-term diagnosis, specific learning difficulty, disability, chronic health condition or mental health issue, such as those listed below – there is no definitive list! If the diagnosis is persistent and long-term there is a support option available and reasonable adjustment can be arranged.
- Mobility impairment/ wheelchair users
- Hearing impairment
- Cystic fibrosis
- Aspergers / Autism
- Persistent anxiety
- Depression / Mental Health
- Sight impairment
- Dyslexia/ dyspraxia etc
- Crohn’s / IBS/ Colitis
What we can offer you
Our service can offer you the following:
- Dyslexia advice and guidance
- Advice and assistance with applying for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and arranging a Study Needs Assessment
- Advice to your academic team on adjustments that you may need
- Liaise with college services including extended library loans
- Liaise with external agencies to coordinate the practical support you may need
- Advice on disability issues such as campus access or assistive software
- Arranging your essential support workers such as a dyslexia tutor, a study mentor or a British Sign Language Interpreter
- Flexible exam arrangements
Jackie Reaney is the Disability Adviser and she will work with each student registered with the service to secure DSA funding, where appropriate, and explore a range of strategies which will improve the student’s academic engagement and experience.
Telephone: 01226 216 782
In person: Jackie is located in Room 316 at Church Street Campus.
Last updated: 25th May 2023